You will need the following ingredients to prepare enough red pea soup for 4 people;
3 cups of kidney beans, soaked overnight in water or 2 tins of canned beans
12 cups of water
2 regular onions
2 scallion (spring onions may be used as a substitute)
2 teaspoons of dried thyme
1 hot pepper (ideally scotch bonnet)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
1/2 lb potatoes
1/2 lb yam
1/2 cup coconut milk
Flour, water and a pinch of salt to make dough for spinners
- If you are using fresh, dried kidney beans then soak them in water overnight.
- Place the beans (including the water they were stored / soaked in) in a large saucepan and add the water
- If you are using meat then add the meat now
Let simmer for one hour
- Chop the hot pepper, potatoes, onions, scallion, yam and pumpkin in to small pieces
- Mix flour and a pinch of salt with water until it has the consistency of dough.
- Pinch off a small amount of the dough and roll it in your hands to make a “spinner”
- Add the spinner to the pot, repeat until you run out of dough.
- Add the rest of the ingredients
- Let simmer for one more hour.
Related Link: Jamaica Travel & Culture